LATE THIS past year, The Wall Street Journal published an article headlined “Don’t Tell Texas, but Arkansas Is Laying Claim to Queso.” We’d been under the impression that most everyone was already aware of this fact—however, once ole Texas got wind of things, we had a full-blown interstate feud on our hands. After much feigned outrage and bluster, things eventually ran their course, culminating with a blind taste test performed by each state’s U.S. senators, with Arkansas winning out. Naturally. Even though the dip that took home the prize—that of Heights Taco & Tamale Co.—is very much worth a dip or seven, there are still many others around Little Rock, one for pretty much everyone, as evidenced here.
1. You: You’re a little bit country, you’re a little bit rock ’n’ roll, a little bit gentle, a little bit running wild. Also, you love avocados.
The dip: Queso especial (a scoop of guacamole in queso blanco) at Baja Grill | 5923 Kavanaugh Blvd.; eatbajagrill.com
2. You: You’re a secret carnivore. You take your steak with a side of steak and consider burger toppings to be a “side salad.”
The dip: Habanero queso with ground bison at The Fold: Botanas & Bar | 3501 Old Cantrell Road; thefoldlr.com
3. You: Bacon.
The dip: Petit Jean bacon cheese dip at Lost Forty Brewing | 501 Byrd St.; facebook.com/lost40beer
4. You: You’re fancy—but not too fancy. You’ve got a closet with tasteful costume jewelry, but also soccer cleats. You know, to give things a kick.
The dip: La Petite Roche cheese dip at Dizzy’s Gypsy Bistro | 200 River Market Ave., No. 150; Facebook.com/DizzysGypsyBistro
5. You: You’re ahead of the curve, a pioneer among pioneers. You invented the cronut in 1985. You’re basically a cultural Magellan—but with a considerably better sense of direction.
The dip: “The First White Cheese Dip in America” at Loca Luna | 3519 Old Cantrell Road; localuna.com
6. You: You’re fresh from a seaside vacay. You’ve got a sunkissed nose and a hankering for something freshly hoisted from the briny deep. Yar definitely not a pirate.
The dip: Samantha’s surf & turf queso blanco at Samantha’s Tap Room & Wood Grill | 322 Main St.; samstap.com